Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. The graphs are nice as is, but could do so much more! I'm imagining beeminder as not just a self-binding tool but a self-awareness tool. For a simple example, say I have goals a and b -- it would be awesome to be able to graph a vs. b on the same graph, or the sum of a and b, and look at patterns in the data. Are a and b inversely proportional (suggesting limited reserves of time and motivation), or directly proportional (suggesting independently fluctuating levels of motivation)?

This is maybe way beyond what beeminder is intended to do,…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. I often set a goal, and I want to know what my actual rate is compared to the goal, and be able to see the path I need to take between the two. An option to
    i) expand the graph x-axis forward to the goal date, and
    ii) have an "based on your trend, you will be/have X on your goal date" would be useful.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Brene Brown (http://www.brenebrown.com/) has done a lot of research and writing about shame, vulnerability and guilt. The summary of what she's written and what I've read is that shame tends to disable whereas guilt (or reaching out for help with vulnerability) tends to enable you towards goeals.

I suggest that instead the current message, it say something more like "hey everyone, give me hell until i re-rail on this goal. i just paid
    @bmndr $5 for derailing."

Less shame, more requests for support

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. (This is several features but it seems easiest to put them together; I can split them out if desired.)

I've been working with the Beeminder API, experimenting with alternate views of my goals, and there are some things that are either missing or nice-to-have:

• The API doesn't seem to have access to the 'goal string', "Stay on the yellow brick road" or whatever I've replaced it with.
    • This is probably calculable from the given data, at least roughly, but the API doesn't provide the three-number green-blue-orange summary that shows up below the bare minimum. This would be really nice to…
    5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. The email settings page allows very fine-grained control over settings, but adding a new goal can requires one to change the settings.

e.g. I want to permit daily mass mailings, but don't ever want the bot to email me about specific goals (except legitimacy tests). However, a new goal defaults to email on all days.

Solution: Have "default new goal settings" in email screen, or infer from existing goals the user's likely preference, and use that as default.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Possibility No. 1:

Friends will lose money when you derail, just like yourself (but not necessarily the same amount). This augments the deterrence and now your reputation is at stake.

Possibility No. 2:

Friends / investors pay money up-front. They only get the money back if you reach your goal / do not derail.

Many other forms of this idea can be conceived of. I think trust- or investment-based incentives may well be the future of Beeminder.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. The new Draft integration is great! But the fact that it counts words added OR deleted is less so. As an example: I went to correct a word and because the iPad implementation of draft is a little sketchy, ending up accidentally hitting paste -- which pasted a 5,000 word 'copy' that I'd made. Suddenly the program thought I was 10,000 words further along than I really was (it counted both the addition AND the removal.) If this is, as is claimed supposed to be for Nanowrimo, it's only the final count that matters -- no credit is given for…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. When one has various beeminder goals, and additional "meta-motivation" can exist by having in your goals page a counter of "how many days have you been on your road without derailing from all your active goals". In other words, It would be a great motivation to have some kind of informational display that tells me how many days ago was my last beeminder sting from any active goal. I think seeing this number increase would help reduce slacking off and stuff.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. I don't allow sites to load custom fonts, for complicated reasons.[*] That means that recently many of your fancy buttons became unreadable, because they're just random Unicode symbols for me.

This doesn't bother me much so far, but it's slowly making the site unusable. Please don't put important controls behind tiny icons that might not even render. Use human-readable text. Text is a Good Idea.

We've finally moved past Flash scrollbars and related usability disasters. Please don't be part of The Next Sucky Thing.

</grumpyoldman>

[*] Reasons include: "I can't read your silly/tiny/giant/messy/etc. fonts", "I have a complex font stack…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. I have a couple goals such as "minutes of focused work" and "push ups."

It would be nice if there was a stat counter that showed how much data has been added for today.

So at a glance, I can see how many minutes I've worked today. How many push ups I've done etc.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. I'm already entering habbits on LiftApp - i'd like to see that graphed and get the beeminder motivations.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. So in this image http://imgur.com/Gr6TUqm instead of
    ce 1d
    I'd see
    ce +0.87

My use case: I already know how many days left I have (because of the color), what I don't know is how much I need to do (which is the thing I want to be able to pick up at a glance).

Like for one particular goal, I have it set to 8/week, so the one day a week where I have to do it twice tends to come as a bit of a surprise. And there's a big difference between having to run half a mile…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Paypal support will increase your users

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. This is from the discussion at http://lesswrong.com/lw/7z1/antiakrasia_tool_like_stickkcom_for_data_nerds/

Allow people to add a "charity tip percentage" on top of their BeeMinder money. For instance, if I chose 100%, and I was due to pay $5, you'd charge me $10 and give half to charity. That way, you get the same money (except for the extra deterrent of the higher total), and I get to choose what percentage goes to charity. You also get interesting data about how much people value the idea of some of their money going to charity.

You could start with limited options for the charities - a…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. I think an app for Beeminder on my iGoogle homepage would be a great way to improve functionality of Beeminder. My idea is pretty simple. Take the basic functions of the Beeminder homepage for a certain goal and put that on the iGoogle homepage. For example, I've got a goal to loose weight. Everyday I enter my data either through email or through the Beeminder website. With an iGoogle app I could view my graph for my weight loss goal; below that I could enter in that day's new point, then somewhere in the box I could press on an…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. When resetting a goal, I appreciate that you now allow me to specify a slope instead of starting flat for a week. The original purpose of starting flat is to make sure I didn't lose with an overambitious setting. But today I reset with the wrong slope (one year longer than I wanted) and now I have to wait a week to truly start my goal and that slope will be steeper than I want. I think you can solve both problems by allowing a "grace period" on setting up a goal; e.g. within the first 24 hours (or 10…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Have varying feedback rules based on the dot colors. The bot would send email like: "oops, you just crossed into the orange zone. Your orange plan was to 1) eat a light salad for every meal and 2) run three miles each day until you get out of the orange zone. You are 2 lbs away from losing your $5 bet." Or. "Congratulations, You just crossed into the green zone. Your Green plan was to eat whatever you want and only exercise if you feel like it.". Or "oops, you just crossed into the yellow zone. Your yellow plan was…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Especially in the Android app (where I will tend to report for goals which require frequent irregular reporting), it would be useful to see the datetime at which each data point was entered.

This would make it easier to look at the data points already entered and avoid over/under-reporting. In particular the question "did I just report a minute ago or do I still need to?" is much easier to answer when the data points look like:

1m ago 1
    3h ago 2
    6h ago 1

than like:
    2012.06.06 1
    2012.06.06 2
    2012.06.06 1

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)