Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Before I found Beeminder I was thinking of setting up a schedule for events (e.g. cigarettes) such that the minimum permissible interval between successive events grows linearly (or perhaps exponentially).

If you enter intervals as data, does one of the available goal types already work for this? Maybe "Personal Max"?

This kind of goal seems more difficult to report on and comply with than the current "Quit Smoking" type, since you have to track the time of every event pretty accurately and translate back and forth between intervals and times. With a new goal type could come better support here,…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Ooh, have you read our thoughts on the Seinfeld hack? http://blog.beeminder.com/flexbind/

To quote: “Such is the powerful psychology of “don’t break the chain”, also known as the Seinfeld hack. But the Seinfeld hack’s greatest strength is also its fatal flaw: Once you do break the chain, all the motivation it provided bursts like a bubble. You’ve got to somehow motivate yourself to build up another long chain to not break.”

You can definitely do this with multiple of the available goal types, if you do a bit of math first – for example, a binary do-less goal with slope 1 / (minimum permissible interval) which you adjust slope and retroratchet every time you add a 1.

3. 136 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Currently your graph refreshes at or soon after 3am in the time zone you specify in My Account.

Some people want their day to officially end at, say, 4am, or some upper bound on when they might go to bed. So a graph refresh at 3am might be premature. (This only would matter if it's an "emergency" day where you're in the red and about to be officially off your yellow brick road at the end of the day.)

Other people want the opposite. To quote one user:

one problem I've had is I often leave my tasks to the…

140 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. I keep getting ideas for a goal that I'm not yet ready to take action on.
    I don't want to lose the idea, but I'm incapable of taking action on it immediately.
    It would be nice to be able to assign a launch date when I create a goal.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. This is very similar to the RetroRatchet idea, and it is trying to combat the same problem (too much safety buffer), but I believe a simple cap on the safety buffer (which has been suggested in the RetroRatchet thread) is the better solution.

So for example, I have a goal to go cycling 50km/week, but I don't want to do that all in one day because I want to make a habit out of it, then I could put the cap at two or three days of safety buffer. Then if I cycle 50km in one day, the safety buffer…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 96 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

One known bug so far: if you change your rate units in advanced settings to something other than “weekly” then the road dial in the Android app won’t work right.

Please let us know of others!

9. The bot reminders now include the number of safety buffer days (number of days you can do nothing and still be on your yellow brick road) and say when it's an "emergency" day (will be officially off the road if you don't do something by midnight), which is great. But it might be nice to be able to choose to have the warnings even if you don't otherwise want the reminders.

65 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Ok, so this could still be improved, but now if you uncheck all the days of the week (“which days can beeminder remind me on”), and leave either text or email reminders on, then you’ll get reminders only when you are orange or red.

10. I would love to use beeminder to track how much money I'm saving (wich is not loewring expenses). But since the salary is once a month, it will be pointless to enter data each day.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Currently an "emergency day" -- when your graph is red -- means that you have to enter new data by the end of the day or you lose (ie, you're officially off the road, and you get charged if you had money at risk).

But what if I actually did the workout or whatever I was beeminding by the end of the day and just didn't have a chance to enter it?

The current answer is to just not let that happen. It's normally fine to wait till the next day to enter data for the previous day (or any…

52 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

[UPDATE: I’m marking this completed now since we like the current compromise of being able to enter data retroactively but still having to reply to the legit check. And we do have the 24-hour window before the charge actually goes through, which is usually plenty of time to cry foul if the derailment wasn’t legit.]

We’re actually finding it works surprisingly well to have a bit of human intervention when you derail. We can easily grow 10x before we have to automate this for our own sanity. And it seems to be an amazing deterrent to weaseling/cheating when you have to explain yourself to actual humans to get your graph unfrozen.

We’re still inclined to try the slightly kinder/gentler version but it has fallen down the priority list a bit, given how well the more human-moderated version is working.

More thoughts on this welcomed!

12. Once a goal has successfully been completed, there is an option to Reset. That button hides the Settings tab. But maybe I want to change the settings: make it public/private, or hide/show the turquoise swath.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  5 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. It would be great to be able to extend the due date of a goal once it is past (at the moment it seems that the only option is to reset, even though one is on track).

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. If I accomplish a goal and thereby fulfill my contract, I can set a new, similar goal for free. Why not allow me to reset the same completed goal for free, and keep my history?

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. I just edited a comment via the Data tab. it was kind of hard to determine which Edit link to tap on iPhone safari. the links are way off on the right. if the table had alternating background shading, it would be easier.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. It's a little unclear that the graph is being redrawn when it's just grayed out, and I often worry that my data hasn't been accepted.

(I love beeminder btw!)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 55 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Beeminder is working for me. It's working really well. However I know that once my number of goals grows larger, so does the cost of reporting and cognitively tracking those goals.

I'd love to see a page which simply lists all my goals, and how many days of safety buffer I have on each. Then I can immediately tell how long it is before I have to vacuum the floor, publish some photos, write some slides, do the laundry, or whatever other infrequent "do more" tasks I'm tracking. There's no need for graphs here, just a list of goals, preferably…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. There seems to be no way to save the Avatar file to be uploaded on the Avatar tab. There should be a Save or Upload button.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. I realized that the goal that I set for myself is too low and doesn't provide enough of an incentive. What I'd like to do is to increase my contract amount without actually falling off the yellow brick road.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?