We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Allow Beeminder to track points on Fitocracy.

91 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. When the BeeBot queries me it asks for a reply in the form of goalname dayofmonth datapoint. It seems to make sense that the default reply should simply be: datapoint. In this case the default value for goalname would be the goal that triggered the BeeBot query, and the default value for dayofmonth would be today.

81 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. So I don't have to use the back button or go back to "my gallery" could you put a link to all of my other goals on on each graph page. That way I could get to any other goal each time I went to a specific goal page - hope that made sense.

57 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. If I succeed, then I had the option of allowing friends and loved ones to watch me do it. If I fail, they get to laugh at me, leaving even more reason to succeed.

49 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sharing is pretty huge, but can you say what exactly you mean by “a secure way”? Do you need a way to guarantee that only specific people see your graph, and that those people would have to have beeminder accounts themselves (to ensure you’re sharing with only those you intend)? If you just give the URL of your graph to those you want to share your goal with, that may be the best of all worlds, unless you’re super paranoid about the URL falling into the wrong hands. That’s our own philosophy, anyway. Others may have different privacy needs so we’re eager to hear more feedback on this.

6. We should be able to have goals within goals.

Let's say my goal is "be a week ahead on all my classwork."

It would be nice to be able to say, "JAVA: The complete reference; finish unit 1 in 10 days" or "Differential Equations exam, have 50 study sessions before final exam".

34 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Are you thinking just in terms of grouping related goals together? We did recently add a very crude approximation of that: you can now partition goals into those you currently care about and those you don’t currently care about.

7. If the user has achieved their goal, they shouldn't have to wait 7 days before being allowed to archive it.

23 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Oops, looks like this reverted when we made some other changes to the Archive button. Unmarking this “complete” and eager for more feedback on this — just reply to this email with off-the-cuff reactions or reply publicly on uservoice. Thanks everyone, and sorry for the reversion!

8. It's nice to have the yellow brick road and know what I need to do to keep from losing my goal, but it would also be nice to have a linear estimate of the purple "average" line or the turquoise swath (maybe only over the last N days?) so you can tell how fast you are actually going.

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a good idea, and not hard to do. We’re just a little worried about cluttering things. We already sometimes hear complaints that it’s trying to throw too much information at you. We’re willing to be convinced though. We’d love to hear more about how you’d use that info. (Counter-argument: For most people, they’re either just managing to stay on their yellow brick road, or they go way off it. Knowing the rate of the YBR itself usually suffices.)

9. I'd like to be able to receive and respond to time-tracking pings from my phone (ideally, also from PC-based notifications in case I'm at a PC but don't have cell service) and have all my responses tracked and analyzed "in the cloud." This way I can track time that isn't spent at a computer (more descriptively than just "afk").

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m so hooked on tagtiming that I wouldn’t ever rely on a network connection or even a cell connection to get my pings.

Still, this is a great idea for people less obsessive about that.

(Note that if you have an android phone we do have a tagtime app.)

10. I would like to be able to share a goal/graph with friends and family without making it completely public. If that is a pain to implement I'd even be okay with a "if you have the right link then you can see the page" system, but with no obvious public link.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. When editing the settings for my goal, if I switch between "Basic" "Reminder" and "Advanced" on Chrome v14.0 , I lose the information I had submitted in the other tabs. Thus, I'm forced to click submit before switching to another tab.

My intuition tells me that I should be able to fill out all three tabs and hit submit on any of the three to see changes. I'm not sure that's happening :)

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. For a lot of fitness related goals there are multiple dimensions. Running 5k is one thing, but running it at 9 minute miles is very different from 8 minute miles. In weight lifting, the data are naturally of the form (weight, reps, sets), and an improvement in any dimension represents real growth. Users should be able to report multi-dimensional data and specify a function that maps their data space into one dimension for graphing and tracking purposes.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. I don't know how you keep track of Beeminder blog posts, but an easy way to keep track of blogging and other publishing-type tasks (Twitter, Youtube, ...) would be to check an RSS/Atom feed and then count the posts / words / whatever.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I get the whole anti-akrasia thing where you pay when you fail. You're incentivizing your future self to toe the line (stay on the road).

But it takes a certain kind of nerd to appreciate the value in that. Normal people might prefer it the other way around: I still put in my credit card up front but you only charge it if I actually reach my goal.

It's like a satisfaction guarantee: Beeminder will get you to the end of your Yellow Brick Road or your money back!

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. I think there is some movement on this board to give users more control over deleting or editing goals, but I wanted to point out that your current lack of an interface for these things is actually a bit of a feature. It makes you think twice about what goals you create (commit to). For instance, I have a dud email goal hanging around, I set it to end in a week and I hope it goes away, but as an end-user I don't know if it will and it makes me more careful about creating goals I don't want…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. When entering data it is nice to have the multiline field, but using the mouse to submit is a bit cumbersome. Shift+enter seems like the most common way to submit in multiline fields.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Alice points out in previous admin response that shift-enter is also commonly used to get an explicit newline without submitting so this might be confusing.

But it may be that alt-enter is the right answer here. Note the discussion in the comments about tab+enter and tab+space, which is my own preferred solution.

17. The caret idea [https://www.beeminder.com/faq#qcut] is nice if you have trouble remembering the day of the month but carets are a pain to get to from iphone keyboards (and some android phones as well).

(As a first step, if the space weren't required after the caret that would streamline it a bit.)

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As Alice pointed out in the previous status update, we’ve got apps for both iOS and Android, and they’ve got super easy data entry methods. But for people using the SMS bot or who just prefer the email bot to the apps, I like some of these ideas. Keep them coming!

18. Right now, when you hover over the goal title, the title attribute, which shows a little dialog, is the same thing. Why not make the title attribute the goal details, since the goal details are sometimes truncated.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sometimes those goal titles get truncated so in that case the mouseover text is useful. But you’re right, it should give some kind of additional useful info as well.

By “goal details” do you mean “Goal”, “Risking”, and “Status”?

19. I want to be able to record somewhere in a failed goal the postmortem, in order to case-study my failures. Currently one cannot edit the fine print once derailment has occurred. However, fine print seems like a great place to write a postmortem as a reminder to oneself of "why did I fail these goals", and stop running in circles.

Postmortems can include: I started too high, or I just hate this task and I might well decide to just quit this goal permanently, or perhaps I was quantifying the wrong variable.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 1 vote
    Vote