I suggest you ...

Make the graph scalable.

With 30 datapoints its no big deal, but I have looking at lots of stuff here and when there is years of data on a graph, it gets pretty cluttered and difficult to see where you are in relation to the road. Only relevant for relatively long term goals or recording I guess, but some that have been around a while are tough to see.

221 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    jmccohjmccoh shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • blochbloch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with John: If we could set tmin and tmax relative to 'today' it would make the feature implementation much more awesome, since the user wouldn't have to update tmin and tmax regularly to keep the graph scale fixed.

• John John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now if it could just be kept at 7 days or 1 month or whatever I chose so that the scale of the graph was the same each day. That way I get a better feel for how well I am doing. Sorry, I know this is obvious but just in case :)

• dreevesAdmindreeves (Cofounder, Beeminder) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's now a (sorta tedious) way to zoom in advanced settings. We'll figure out how to build that into the interface in a more intuitive way (perhaps just by switching to a javascript graphing library).

• John John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yeah i am finding the graph less and less motivating the longer it gets. Because I liked seeing how far up my little graph went when I entered my datapoint. It moves less and less now :( It's only going to get worse.....

• army1987army1987 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's badly needed now that old data points are no longer taken off the graph after resets.

• PhilipPhilip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A "Mirrored Log" scale on the time axis is what I've always wanted in a graph, centered around the present. Far past and far future events would be scrunched, and the recent past & future would be both legible and meaningful. (Not that beeminder has a far-future view, but the principle holds.)

• Valentin NemcevValentin Nemcev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it is not some cosmetics/usability thing, but a fundamental feature. I live on the scale of days and sometimes hours so for me motivation decreases in inverse proportion to the graph scale.
        Also, if it is possible, I would really appreciate option to disable autosumming and increase resolution on the time scale, so I can see multiple data submissions on one day.
        Of course, big picture is still important, but I only need it about once per week. In other words, to maximize usefulness of the service form me, graphs should be scalable and have higher resolution on the time scale.

• chrischris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sounds like this is on its way, but I definitely vote for this --- I only have a couple months of data and already it takes a slight squint to see where I am.

• jamuraajamuraa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Alternatively, you could make it easier / better to zoom in on the last N days of the graph, so you could see the last month or year. In the past they set up multiple graphs with one feeding the other.

Feedback and Knowledge Base